Monday, January 19, 2009

Out with the old....

Yes, it's been 9 days since an update. In the interim, the weather in Knoxville has been freakin' cold (lows last week on 6 and 9 above zero), and I've been under the weather for the last 4 days with a bad head cold.
In the meantime, I finally was able to go out and get a new pair of shoes. Last week Sarah and I paid a visit to Fleet Feet Sports out in West Knoxville. This was my first visit to a specialized running store to purchase shoes. Now, we been told over and over that running shoes should only last 6-8 months tops. Here are the shoes I've been wearing for 16 months. Yes, from Oct 2007 to Jan 2009, 7 races, months of daily runs.


A pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 7 (Size 10.5). I purchased these shoes at Dick's Sporting Goods after figuring out the $29.99 Nike running shoes I had purchased had managed to screw up my ankles. (On the plus side, the Nike shoes taught me that you get what you pay for when it comes to shoes.) They don't look that bad for shoes I've owned for 16 months.
The only negative thing I can say about these shoes, at least for me, was that they provided too much support for pronation. Towards the end, I started to develop Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot.
After consulation with the fine folks at Fleet Feet, who were more than helpful, I ended up with these babies...


I'm the proud owner of a pair of Saucony ProGrid Hurricane 10 (Size 11). I've backed off a little on the pronation support. So far, I've only got to run twice for short distances. I'll let you know whoi they are after a longer run. (Which weather and health permitting will be within a couple of days.)

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

Did I just read Plantars Faciitis on your blog? I feel like we're back at Coffin Shoe Co.! ;) haha!

How about some S.A.Ss?!?