Thursday, November 27, 2008

Race Day

This morning was the Bluecross Autumnfest 8K. This marks my 6th race this year and the 2nd longest race I've run. (I ran a 10K back in May.) There is always a certain buzz on race day. Without knowing the exact number, I would guess there were a hundreds on people taking part in the race. There's that moment, before the gun, where its fun to look around at all the people participating. Every race, I try to size up the people me. Who do I think is faster, who is running their first race, who can I beat?? And I wonder what they might think of me.
I always try to line up about of a third of the way back in the pack. There are always those people who will try to line up at front. Some of the them obviously belong there, because shortly after the race starts... you never see them again til the finish line. Others might have visions of grandeur that quickly fall by the wayside as they are passed in the first mile or so.
It takes about a quarter of a mile for the pack to break apart as people find their pace, and then it you against the road.
So here's the biggest thing I'm going to have to work on... pacing. When I run during the week, I've been averaging around a 9 minute mile. Getting caught up in race day, my pace jumps up around 8:15 miles. Not bad for short distances, but today I started to run low of energy after the 3 mile mark. Between 3 and the 4.8 mile finish line, I had to slow down and walk 3 times. It's not the end of the world, but a little disappointed in myself. And something I have 5 months to work on. (That and being able to gulp down water while running and not spill most of it on my shirt.)
So in the end, I finished with an official time of 42:34, a pace of 8:34/mile.

No comments: